Rapt Media is a creative platform for interactive enterprise video, enabling companies to convert content viewers to interactive participants. It is the fastest and easiest way to create data-driven interactive videos, with integrations such as Google Analytics, Marketo, and Eloqua.
UX and Web design
Wordpress theme development
Rapt Media's website was built in Wordpress using a modular theme so that non-coders members of the team would be able to update content easily. Working in a fast-paced startup as one of two designers, I had to wear multiple hats and work fast. When I first started this mammoth project, I did an initial content audit and created a plan for the redevelopment of the site. The initial phase was learning about Rapt Media's customers and their pain points from current team members. Rapt Media had a target audience, but had no previous personas document to guide their development of their product and website. Below is an excerpt of our personas development, which guided the design of the the site map and website. (Faces from http://uifaces.com)
Alyssa McMahon, 29, Account Director at Razorfish
User Story: Alyssa McMahon is an account executive at Razorfish. She has a few clients, but her key client is Kellog. Kellog is looking to launch a new line of breakfast cereal and is looking to generate awareness and engagement. Alyssa has to stay within budget, time, and resources. She is charge of the pitch to the client for the new campaign. When they do decide on the project direction, Alyssa will be in charge of putting together a timeline. As the main point of contact for the client, if something breaks, she will have to be the one who explains to the client why it isn’t working.
- Identify new clients and maintain key clients
- Consistently achieve sales targets
- Research new ways to stay ahead of the market
- Stay within budget, time, & resources
- Unsatisfied clients
- Falling behind schedule
- Not very technical
- Need to sell solutions to client and based on numbers and descriptions, justify mea- sure campaign success afterwards
Marc Gonzalez, 32, Creative Director at Martin Agency
User Story: Marc has been working at The Martin Agency for 5 years. Before that, he was a graphic designer for Electronic Arts. He is a designer by trade and identifies himself as a visual storyteller. He enjoys working with the motions graphic team to create a new advertisement for Nespresso, one of The Martin Agency’s key clients. Marc is motivated by great design and is always looking for exciting new ways of viewer-ad interaction. He never feels that he hits the mark. Looking back at his old work is painful to him, but is always working hard to be a source of inspiration for his team.
- Find an easy-to-use, flexible tool that will help realize creative vision within constraints of budget and time
- Meet goals and KPIs since he is reporting to the CEO
- Get creative direction featured in ad magazines and gain publicity
- Budget requirements and has to operate with in constraints, shipping out on time
- Dealing with non-creative tasks that takes time from creative process
- Managing crippling perfectionism against reality
Kristina Hsing, 29, Producer at Publicis Kaplan Thaler
User Story: Kristina Hsing works as the web producer for Publicis Kaplan Thaler. She is interested in working for big brands and loves being in the larger agency world. As a creative, she cares a lot about creating visually creative and effective projects. She has experience working with industry tools, but is always curious to learn more about other technologies. She is subscribed to many design blogs.
- Visually creative and effective end results
- Flexibility of the tool and ease of use
- Be able to understand the process enough to explain it and sell it to team members
- Not enough time, budget, resources
- Complexibility of options
Roy Roi, 40, Marketing Director at CISCO
User Story: Roy has been in the marketing industry for more than 15 years and has been working at CISCO for seven of those years. Roy’s job is to make something boring more exciting. Since he works in a large organization, everyone fights for their own domain. For example, it is hard for him to get IT support since the IT department tends to disagree on anything new as it will make their lives harder. Roy is getting tired of keeping people happy and always having to fight to get things done.
- Reliable, functional experience that achieves measurable results and can generate buzz and press
- Getting right audience/leads to right product and visitors to understand product
- Launching multiple campaigns
- Barrier to entry
- Battle between marketing and creative
Site Map and Wireframes
I kept the four key personas in mind throughout the wireframing process and helped me prioritize which page of the website is the most important and should be worked on first. By focusing on Rapt Media's users, this also helped our content writer with writing copy for the different sections of the website. I also had keep in mind that the site had to be develop with a modular theme in Wordpress and optimize what I could accomplish within the short time frame.
After going through the personas and their pain points, it was clear that we had to include a "How it works" page. The diagram below was created to illustrate how the technology works in a visually appealing manner, without getting too technical. One of many constraints was limited visual assets available, so instead of relying on stock photos, I decided to create animated illustrations and icons to help the website be more welcoming and engage the viewers.